Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a male Akita who just turned 6 on 10/5/17. He's a…

Customer Question
I have a male...

I have a male Akita who just turned 6 on 10/5/17. He's a healthy dog, although might need to lose a bit of weight, but active and happy and super friendly, I might add :-). He tends to get really excited when people come home, especially if he's been home alone, which is VERY rare as there is usually somebody home all day, everyday. I tend to be his master or alpha in the household and I work from home. However two days ago, I had to leave the house for most of the day and although my son was home, when I got home, he apparently got really excited and one of my kids saw him slip in the kitchen as he was running to the door to say "hi". He's been limping since and puts little to no weight on his hind right leg. I've tried to find where the pain is coming from but he shows little sings of discomfort. More irritation with the fact that I'm pestering him. I've checked his paw for something in it, I've checked his knee to see how easily it moves and pressed his hips to see if I get a reaction. I can't tell as he's reacted somewhat to every location, however he doesn't really like being poked and prodded. Never has, so it's tough to tell where he's hurt. My first thought was that he pulled a muscle or tore a ligament, but I don't want to not be concerned over this and have something get worse for him. It happened Tuesday evening and today is Thursday night. Well, Friday morning now as it's just past midnight. I hate seeing my dog limp and thought it would get a little better by now, and although I THINK it might be, I don't want to convince myself and have him suffer or something get worse for him. I would have taken him into the vet, but also wanted to spare an unnecessary expense as things are a bit tight financially at the moment. However if surgery is a requirement, I would absolutely have it done, no questions asked and would pay whatever expense necessary to allow him to feel better. I've been doing research and having a tough time determining what the issue could be. He is a large breed dog, so hip dysplasia is a concern, but as it was immediately after him slipping, I'm inclined to believe it might be something else. I'm probably overly worried, but this dog is my best friend and although huge, he's my little baby :-)

Veterinarian's Assistant: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds that can be found. How do I make payment?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Akita?

Not that I can think of other than he's a big boy! He sits funny and has for years. I though maybe he was over weight and his belly got in the way so we put him on a diet and nothing changed. He's back to his normal diet now and has been for around a year. He sits like a frog is the best I can explain with his hind legs almost sitting forward and I've been concerned that this will be problematic as he gets older as he gets up slowly, like an old man, but doesn't seem to hurt.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, assessing injury from afar is nigh impossible for us. Yes, he may have aggravated an osteoarthritic hip but may also have torn his anterior cruciate ligament but there are any number of both boney asoft tissue injuries that may have occurred. At this point you can see how an over the counter analgesic affects him or have his vet examine him properly and advise. X-rays may be recommended once the problematic area is identified.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian