Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One of my dogs (I don't know which one) ate a bag of

Customer Question
skittles. Are they going to...
One of my dogs (I don't know which one) ate a bag of skittles. Are they going to be ok?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How big was the Skittles bag { In ounces } ?

Thank you for your help. It would
Have happened within the hour. And I believe they are about 2-6 oz. they were in a bowl, so I'm not sure of the exact amount
I'm actually trying to figure out who eat them by smelling their breath.
No idea which one are them

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dogs very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on them, the chances are they are all going to be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dogs ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. Lets take the worst possible scenario and assume that your smallest dog ate the lot. If you estimate your smallest dog's weight as being in the region of 18 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 5.4 ozs { More than one quarter pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. So really this amount of skittles which are not in any case composed of 100% milk chocolate is nothing to worry about.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that any of your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Skittles incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Dr. Scott, they are all doing great! Hilariously we found out that one of our teenage daughters are all the skittles and no dog even got any. Thank you for being there for us last night regardless!

Best possible outcome !

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gary. How is everything going?