Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my Boston to the regular vet today and referred to…

Customer Question
I took my Boston...

I took my Boston to the regular vet today and referred to eye vet today which we went and was not really told anything except there’s no bacteria no fungus that showed up on culture but her cornea has been sloughing off ... they decided to do a shotgun approach and prescribed an antibiotic, antifungal, vetprofen, atropine, and an ointment ... how would One know it’s a “melting” cornea? I’m sure they knew but double checking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

I described as above what was prescribed... she is an 8 year old Boston terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Oh her name is BB

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about BB?

Her regular vet discovered a heart murmur today... wasn’t given a grade and she said she wasn’t too worried right now about it and more worried about her eye and sent me to the eye vet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with BB. A melting corneal ulcer is diagnosed just based on the exam and how much corneal tissue has been damaged. In a melting ulcer, the stromal tissue of the cornea essentially liquifies due to infection. They can be very difficult to treat, as I'm sure you have discovered.

Were you treating with drops before they did the culture? That may be why the culture was negative. The treatment plan is sound. Sometimes spinning down a dog's own blood and using the serum is helpful as well. That would be something to ask about, depending on how the current treatment plan goes.

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow