Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate my dinner before I put it in the oven. Sockeye…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. My dog...

Hi Pearl. My dog ate my dinner before I put it in the oven. Sockeye salmon from grocery store. She already relieved herself 5 minutes after she ate it. Is there concern?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- To make sure I got this right, the salmon was raw, correct?

Correct

1- How long has it been since she ate the salmon?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

About an hour ago. She pooed approx 5-10 minutes later and seems ok. We do have hydrogen peroxide

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

I am sorry, how much does she weigh?

About 60 lbs. She's a 9 month old yellow lab

Friend, the problem or the concern when a dog eats raw salmon is that they can get a disease called "Salmon Poisoning" if the fish carries a parasite (N. salmincola) that carries a bacteria (Neorickettsia helminthoeca) that causes this disease. This is a fatal disease for a dog if he/she is not treated. So, for this reason, we recommend not to feed raw or undercooked fish. I would recommend you try to make her vomit with peroxide 3%; if you do not see all of the salmon in the vomit I would follow up in the morning with your vet and discuss treating your dog with an antibiotic called Doxycycline as a prevention, best to err on the side of caution. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see all of the salmon in the vomit follow up with your veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian