Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is constipated due to taking prednisone. what is the…

Customer Question
My dog is constipated...

My dog is constipated due to taking prednisone. what is the correct dosage of metamucil to give her? she weighs 35 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 10 yrs old. l took her to the emergency room on sunday night because she was so weak and they ran a bunch of extensive test on her and they told me she was suffering from severe anemia and she would have to have a blood transfusion which l can't afford. they also said she has a heart murmur. and gave me a 7 day dose of prednisone and doxycycline for a cold. they told me it might work. but now she is constipated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jetta?

Her gums are a very pale pink. her cold seems a little better. the vet bill was $400.00. I'm on a limited budget and can't afford blood transfusions or IV drips. any suggestions?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. It sounds like they are treating Jetta for suspect hemolytic anemia. It is unlikely that she is constipated. Is she posturing to defecate and not producing any stool? I suspect that she is not eating well and may not be producing any stool. How has she been eating?

A good quality wet dog food with lamb. and also baked chicken, green beans. anything l can get her to eat without salt. she hasn't postured to defecate, only urinating.

Great that she is eating so well. I doubt she is constipated, so don't give her any metamucil. It will take a couple of weeks of medication to know if she is responding. They will likely recheck her hematocrit at the two week mark. Please ask any follow up questions.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian