Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog does not reacted well to restraint at vets office -

Customer Question
he had an injured foot...
My dog does not reacted well to restraint at vets office - he had an injured foot and I brought him to the vet and when she went to handle the foot he head turned - vet tech grabbed the leash and wrapped it around his body and tightened it - he started jumping around - she took him out back to try to muzzle him and couldn't so that was the beginning of the end of vet visits. When he needed a rabies shot they aced him and made me come into an empty office and walk him to a wall so I could press his neck into the wall while 5 of them came out behind the counters to give him the shot from behind ' spooked him and he moved away from the wall and was told they could not give him the shot - - on their advice I took him to a behaviorist who said he was totally non aggressive but did not like having his neck shoved into the wall - - he us 4 now and coming dye for shots again and wondered if lorazopam could help him - when at the vet - did do a lot of conditioning with him - stands for me and when I say shot he stands still and I pull his scruff up and even practiced with a needle and saline from the vet - the vet insists that I make him sit and grab his face while he comes from behind - that I know will not work '
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. My first impression after reading your question is that you need to find a new veterinarian. It is never productive or effective to put a dog through that kind of ordeal. It creates more anxiety and makes subsequent visits worse. Acepromazine is an outdated chemical for restraint.

A better choice would be to change hospitals and talk to the new vet about how to take care of him in a "less is more" way. There is a great protocol called the "chill out protocol" from Tufts University. It utilizes gabapentin and melatonin to help decrease anxiety in the patient prior to the visit without knocking them out. I have several patients that i have had to work with and fine tune the protocol that works best. It takes more time, but is so much healthier for the patient and everyones nerves. Please ask any follow up questions.

I am looking for a new vet - I live near tufts vet hospital - since the shot incident I have taken him to westford emergency clinic for so aspirates on some bumps and they managed him without drugs - they did a full blood test on his front leg (which he hadn't had in 2years since he was neutered, a lyme test and multiple aspirates - i insisted they keep his muzzle on - but they videoed him because they were using a technique( fearfreepets) and they handled him with friendliness and praise for a positive experience -, they gave me a copy and they were wonderful with him and no drugs, I asked if they could give him his shots and the said they didn't do shots - just emergency treatment. Would the drugs you suggested possibly cause him to
become more apt to become aggressive because he has no fear? I have read that some drugs lower their inhibitions. Is this the case with these drugs? I know I could vaccinate him with everything but rabies due to the law and I dont know if my current vet would prescribe the drugs for him. aybe I should call Tufts - rabies is coming due in December - thinking of just marching him up to petco to get the rabiesfor a quick shot and get it over with. My other American bulldog would let you do anything to him -he was sick and always at the vet - died of inoperable brain tumor and went through many operations years prior to his death- thank goodness this dog seems healthy because he hasn'
t really had checkup in 2 years - the whole thing makes me so sad - other than this he is an awesome friendly smart all around dog.

The gabapentin and melatonin do not cause aggression. Prozac has been linked to increased aggression in some dogs. I am in Maine. There should be a local hospital that does the fear free protocol.