Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We're planning on adopting 2 puppies (6 months old) and one…

Customer Question
Hi. We're planning on...

Hi. We're planning on adopting 2 puppies (6 months old) and one has been diagnosed with whipworm. We think this is their alleged 2 bout with worms. We've been told they're being treated with Drontal. How soon would we be able to start them on a Trifexis regimen?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

We're not sure which one has been diagnosed. We're waiting for the fosters to call us. We think it might be the puppy that is currently named Pashmina.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

They are White German Shepherds that were rescued from North Carolina. We do know they are up to date on all of their shots. That's about all the information we have at the moment.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about the new puppies you plan to adopt...and, congratulations, by the way:)

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

You could give them Trifexis as soon as you adopted them if you wanted. Even though they might have been treated with Drontal (or any other wormer, for that matter), you don't need to wait. It might actually be a good thing to not wait since use of this product will help to prevent reinfection of internal parasites since puppies tend to be so susceptible.

If you're concerned about toxicity issues or overdosing them with a wormer, this is a pretty safe product and wouldn't be contraindicated just because they were given Drontal.

I hope this helps. Deb