Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Was checking to see if my pneumonia could be spread to him,

Customer Question
Was checking to see...

Was checking to see if my pneumonia could be spread to him, he's breathing more heavy and fast for him. That and he's had skin issues for some time and gnawing at his skin til it's raw. Zyrtec helped some but thought the allergy season that normally affects him was over. What else could be bothering his skin so bad? I have him off gluten and poultry, which really bothers him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the pneumonia. What is the dog's name and age?

Moses, and not sure probably between 6-11 (I found him in the mountains at no less than 1 in 2011)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He had pneumothorax and chylothorax 2-3 years ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Moses

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

It is very unlikely for your bacteria to have spread to Moses so I do not think this is what is going on with his skin or respiratory symptoms .

Food allergies can be really hard to treat as it requires a novel protein diet change ( a meat protein they have never had before like venison, duck, rabbit etc ) and no other meat protein sources. Most dogs who have food allergies are allergic to the meat protein source not as much the grains.

Is he on flea prevention?

Is there any coughing or sneezing you have noticed ? Can you count his breaths per minute so I can see what his respiration rate is?

How is Moses's appetite ?

He may also have given himself a secondary bacterial skin infection from chewing at himself until the skin is raw and his staph bacteria that normally resides there overgrows causing more inflammation and itching which makes them chew and itch more ( it's a really vicious cycle). He may need oral antibiotics and topical therapies from your regular veterinarian.

Are you there?

I have to go see a few appointments I will check back later to see if you have responded

I never heard back from you I hope this answered your question

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian