Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been throwing up from eating a beef bone. Should…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been throwing up from eating a beef bone. Should I take him today to he emergency or wait until the office reopens in the morning?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Beef bone, throw up as bone bits in it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Last few times as been on phelgm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He's a very healthy 10lb havanese.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If he has been vomiting after eating a beef bone, and little chunks are coming out, I would definitely get him to the emergency vet today. The biggest concern is that he has a gastrointestinal obstruction, which is very common with beef bones. If the bone was cooked, it can also splinter easily and perforate the intestinal tract. If there is an obstruction, the longer it is there, the more it can cut off blood the intestinal tract and cause a perforation as well. With obstruction, the sooner you get them in, the better the prognosis. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Havanese is doing and to see if you have any other questions.