Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shivers and diahrrea. Chihuahua. Has been shivering and some…

Shivers and diahrrea Veterinarian's...

Shivers and diahrrea

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Chihuahua?

Has been shivering and some diahrrea also moaning a little

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Forrest 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Forrest?

He did have an allergy outbreak recently

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I​ need more information please. Has he had any new foods or treats or did he get into something? How severe is the diarrhea? How often is he having it? When did it start? Is it watery or do you see blood?

It went from loose to watery. He maybe got into some old meat bones
It started yesterday night

O​kay thank you. Anytime it is watery they can dehydrate very quickly. It can also mean there is a gastrointestinal bacterial tract infection requiring antibiotics to resolve it. So ideally he should see a vet today for a fecal test for abnormal bacteria, fluid therapy, and probably an antibiotic called metronidazole. Is going to the vet an option?

I​f there is not way you can take her to a vet I would try fasting her for 12 hours to let her gastrointestinal tract rest. During the 12 hour fast she is to have only water but no food. To help keep her blood sugar up you can rub honey on her gums every 3-4 hours. Give her childrens pedialyte drink with a syringe or eye dropper for hydration every hour until the diarrhea stops. You can also give her pepto bismol. 1/2 teaspoon per 5 pounds of dog every 12 hours as needed.

we will take him to the vet as soon as possible

Okay perfect. Do you have any other questions for me or are you all set?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much you helped out a great deal. This was a great set up for vetineraians

Y​ou are very welcome. I hope she feels better. : )

Dr.Gabby came to the rescue. She answered all my questions and straight to the point with homecare. I would leave 10 stars if I could

Awwww thanks you made my day : )