Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has a nasel cavity tumor, alone with double hip

dysplasia. Breathing is difficult with...
She has a nasel cavity tumor, alone with double hip dysplasia. Breathing is difficult with the tumor but needs novox for her hips. She's only eight. Want to give steroid with novox. 10 mg stetiod and 75 mg inbox each day.
That's 75 mg novox each day with 10 mg steriod
11/9/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Dakota. The nasal tumors are frustrating in that they aren't very responsive to a majority of the therapies out there. One of the important things to make sure is that inadvertently things aren't made worse. An NSAID (Novox) shouldn't be be used at the same time as a steroid as the use of both of them at the same time can cause stomach ulceration. I have seen a few cases where this has happened at my ER. I know you want to do everything you can for her. Probably the best therapy for the nasal cancers is radiation therapy, but this isn't readily available and it too has a lot of down sides as far as the repeated treatments that are needed while being anesthetized.

We are trying to keep her quality of life as good as possible. With what I have read any Tx either radiation or chemo do not prolong her life by much. Is there anything for her hips we can give with the steroid? We tried gabapentin and it had a terrible effect on her.

You are correct in that the chemotherapy and radiation therapy don't really increase the length of life by enough that makes it really a good option. Tramadol is an oral pain medication that can be used at the same time as a steroid. In a situation like this, if she's not being kept comfortable, it may be the best to stop the steroid and go back onto the Novox. I would start up some stomach protectants when this change is made and have her on them for a week to help protect her stomach.

I actually have tapered her off steroid and started novox 2 days ago. She is running, playing and eatting but breathing has been slightly worse. It seems to be positional. In your opinion would the steroid work better here?
Its like she needs a decongestant

I'm sorry for my delay as I got pulled away by some cases. I would feel that the Novox is going to help her with her mobility issues the best. Honestly, the steroids aren't really going to do anything for the nasal tumor situation at this time. The tumor itself is most likely big enough to physically restrict air flow through the nasal passage way. A decongestant really isn't going to help as the physical mass is the issue. Not discharge.

Ok many thanks will continue Novox I've made an appointment with my vet on Monday you have helped me immensely between now and then many thanks greatly appreciated
I also will pick up some Maalox for her to take between now and then I'm assuming I should just govern that by body weight she's 74 lb

I'm glad to help in this small way. I am hoping for the best for your girl. Give her a good belly rub for me since I can't. Take care.

How is Dakota doing at this time?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi Pam,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?