Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Penny (Golden-doodle) has had bright yellow diarrhea…

Customer Question
My dog Penny (Golden-doodle)...

My dog Penny (Golden-doodle) has had bright yellow diarrhea for 2+ weeks. Been to the vet 2-3 times now and no consensus what is going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

We've done the chicken/rice thing, then pumpkin filling thing, but she still has yellow poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Penny, 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?

Just yellow poop/diarrhea for 2+ weeks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has your vet ran any testing on her? If so, what tests?

Has she been on any medications? Which ones?

The dog has had bloodwork once and is getting more today. So far everything has been negative. The dog lost 7 lbs. She is in good spirits and not lethargic. The dog has been on an antibiotic and probiotic.Can a small bowel obstruction cause yellow poop? She was getting into the bathroom trashcans. Toilet paper, gauze, Q-tips. She seems to be eating and passing everything just fine, but the poop is still bright yellow and somewhat loose. 2+ weeks.

Thanks for the information. Do you know the name of the antibiotic?

I wasn't sure if I was going to hear back from you, so I wanted to at least give you some information. You didn't mention anything about a fecal examination, so that absolutely needs to be done at this point. It could be a parasitic issue. I would run a fecal exam in house for a screening test and consider sending it to the lab if negative for a more full test. It may be a good idea for them to do a fecal culture as well to look for certain bacteria that can cause these issues. Most likely, it isn't a small bowel obstruction. Certain infections, like Coccidia, and liver problems more commonly cause that color of stool, but I would want to make sure there isn't an underlying pancreatic problem or a primary small intestinal problem. So, other testing I would consider here are a gastrointestinal blood panel and an abdominal ultrasound. A GI blood panel will better evaluate pancreatic enzymes and serum cobalamin/folate, which may be abnormal with inflammatory bowel disease issues. He may need cobalamin supplementation for better digestion. I would also consider starting him on metronidazole if not already done. If that didn't work, I would go with tylosin instead and put him on a prescription low fat diet, like Hill's I/D. Lastly, if worse comes to worse, your vet may need to consider referring him for endoscopy (upper GI and colonoscopy most likely) and potential biopsies of the intestinal tract. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Penny is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian