Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is constantly licking her lips....Ishes eating normally

and under metacam medication for...
She is constantly licking her lips....Ishes eating normally and under metacam medication for urinary tract infection and also has had an excessive flea problem this summer...was eating grass yesterday shd slept for a couple hours twice and then resumed constantlt licking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey aged 8-9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?
Customer: No
11/9/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Zoey. Her licking is a sign of gastrointestinal distress, e.g., cramping, nausea, GERD/gastroesophageal reflux/acid reflux. Eating grass is another indication of such distress. It appears to be of evolutionary benefit because the ingestion of nondigestable greens often induces vomiting which then clears the stomach of nondigestables and infectious agents.

It's important to stop administration of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as meloxicam (Metacam) whenever signs of GI distress arise. The NSAID itself may be the cause of the distress but can also worsen distress caused by any number of disorders of the GI tract itself or metabolic disorders that affect the GI tract. For now you can administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals or omeprazole (Prilosec) dosed at 10-20 mg once daily (small-large dog once daily). If you didn't see a prompt and lasting response to stopping the NSAID and initiating an antacid, Zoey's vet will want to recheck Zoey and perhaps alter Zoey's medications for her urinary tract infection. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian