Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a bump on her hip that seems to be a muscle knot,

but I'm not sure....
My dog has a bump on her hip that seems to be a muscle knot, but I'm not sure. It's visible, under the skin, and when I touch it, it feels like a knotted muscle. She doesn't cry out when I apply pressure.
I see her walking with restricted movement but she is putting pressure on it. And she is able to walk up her little stairs to get on the couch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She is Gracie, a blue chihuahua, and is 9
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: She is really healthy normally
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has she had the lump?

2- Does it move or is it firmly attach to the underlying tissue?

3- Is it raised through the skin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It surfaced yesterday.
It does not move away from its location, but it is soft tissue
It is not through the skin. Still under the skin. It is visibly swollen, about the size of a big walnut

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, if the lump came on quickly within a day it is fair to say that this is some type of inflammation, not a tumor. Possible causes are a soft tissue injury, an insect bite, infection, a cyst, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much! I value your quick response. I will take her in for a visit to get this checked out.
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian