Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Goldendoodle ate 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips…

Customer Question
My Goldendoodle ate...

My Goldendoodle ate 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips today and also maybe 12oz bag of milk chocolate chips while I was at work. She vomited once. I took her to my vet & they said she would be okay. I'm still worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She weighs 47.5 lbs

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

I agree with your vet, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of severe toxicity, with the amount of chocolate your dog ate today you may perhaps see a very mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea, but really I would not expect worse than that. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 47 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 14 ozs { Close to one pound } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Milk chocolate is very much less toxic than dark chocolate by the way.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any serious symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

My dog seems to have some trouble walking - not steady on her feet, so she is mainly just laying around. Not acting like she usually doeS. We just love her so mucand don't want to take any chances
I would very much doubt if you are going to see any serious symptoms, just minor ones perhaps. Chances are she will be back to her normal self 24 hours from now.Regards, *****

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Goldendoodle is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian