Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On Sunday we found this little Blue Heeler on a ditch bank…

Customer Question
On Sunday we found...

On Sunday we found this little Blue Heeler bitch on a ditch bank severely malnourished and super dehydrated. her Claws were about half an inch longer and was making it difficult for her to walk. Her coat was really nasty, sticky tounge and very dry nose and quite lethargic. We bathed her clipped her claws and gave her quarter until we can figure out the next plan. We figure she is only about 6 months old and has not been spayed. She drinks a ton of water and has a very strong appitite. Wll things seem to be correcting itself except for she dribbles a lot of urine throughout the house even after she strongly urinates when we put her outside. She is not house broken but we are eworking on that issue. If we can solve the bladder issue we will probably keep her around. Any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Feta

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Feta?

We don't know much about her

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

let me know your thoughts

I'm sorry to hear about your female rescue Blue Healer that leaks urine when walking around the house.

It is possible that she has a urinary tract infection and the inflammation is causing her to dribble urine.

However I would expect her to have some other symptoms such as frequent urinations., straining to urinate or licking at her vulva.

Another possibility is that she has some sort of internal organ disease (diabetes or kidney disease) that is causing her to drink more water such that she simply can't hold it. This is called overflow incontinence.

Other possibilities are some sort of trauma that caused spinal arthritis or nerve damage that is affecting the nerves that control continence and causing her to dribble when she is walking around.

If she is a young dog and if she is dribbling without seeming to know it all the time then she may have an ectopic ureter. This is a congenital condition where her ureter(s) may be attached to her bladder in an abnormal position. This makes control much more difficult. That may be why she ended up in a rescue situation. A dye study will allow diagnosis of these and they can be fixed surgically in most cases. If she requires surgery then make sure that the surgery is done by a board certified surgeon as that is not an easy surgery. There are other physical developmental urinary tract abnormalities such as a smaller than usual bladder or bladder structural abnormalities which can also be checked for with a dye study.

She needs to see a veterinarian for an examination, urinalysis with culture to look for infection and possibly some blood tests to look for abnormal organ function if her urine looks abnormal (very dilute or has protein or glucose in it).

If this is related to weak urethral muscle function medication such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) can help that, and if it is related to spinal arthritis then treating that with anti-inflammatories as well could help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

geez. Thanks for the info.

I know, I hope that she doesn't have an ectopic ureter, or some other sort of congenital defect. I know that she is a rescue, and that sort of expense is a tough pill to swallow, but that may be why she was dumped.

If finances are tight you could contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Thanks for your follow up. Turns out the Feta has Diabeties and is now being treated with 2x daily insulin and we fatten her up and see what other issues there may be. Took her for her first real excercise in a week and she did really good for 2 miles. Thanks for your help.

Thanks very much for the update. I am very glad to hear that Feta was examined, some diagnostic testing was done and she is being treated. She must be much older than 6 months of age as diabetes in dogs is a disease of middle aged to older dogs.

She is very lucky to have landed with someone willing to get her help. My best to your pup, I hope she continues to do well.