Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Licked an icecream container that had stevia, xylitol and…

Customer Question
Licked an icecream container...

Licked an icecream container that had stevia, xylitol and bitter chocolate as the ingredients. He is 90 pounds and 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Ben

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?

The container was empty just licked dried remnants.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How big was the container?

2- How long has it been since he licked?

One pint. That I polished off last night.
Approximately 1/2 hour ago.

1- Was there a lot of ice cream left?

No, just dried remnants on the side and bottom.

So, you feel comfortable in saying that it was less than 1 oz?

less than one ounce of icecream left. He had just eaten breakfast and I got him to drink about 8 oz of water as well.

Friend, stevia is not toxic to dogs. The main concern is the Xylitol which can cause hypoglycemia or liver problems and the chocolate which can cause gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea or systemic symptoms like muscle tremors, hyperactivity, seizures, cardiac arrhythmias, etc. Both, the xylitol and chocolate toxicity are very dependent on the amount consumed and weight of the dog. In this case, it is highly unlikely that there would be enough xylitol or chocolate in a dry container of 1 pint of ice cream to be toxic or life-threatening to a 90 lbs dog. I would just observe him; symptoms that would require a vet visit are profound lethargy or hyperactivity, muscle tremors, vomiting, anorexia, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian