Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is limping. He has had muscle spasms before, but this

is different. He is not...
My dog is limping. He has had muscle spasms before, but this is different. He is not crying in pain, but when he first gets up from his usual seat on the couch, he limps. He is not putting full weight on his R leg. He had a rabies shot last Wednesday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I did not say lethargy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: 7 years old. Spaniel mix. He runs all out when he is out in the yard.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Miles
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is the lameness in a back or front leg?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Does the lameness get better after he walks?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right rear leg. He had a rabies shot 6 days ago in that leg. Yes, the lameness gets better after he walks or lies in a stretched out position. He has a history of muscle spasms in his back, which bother his back legs when he flares up. My vet thinks he may have a bulging disc in that area. It responds very well to muscle relaxant ...I'll think of the name in a minute. He takes Dashaquin advanced as a preventive.

1- Did the lameness start after the shot?

2- Is he on any medication besides Dasaquin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The only medicine he takes is a muscle relaxant. He can have up to 3x a day. Generally, he only needs one. This morning, he seemed to have no problem. This evening, some company came in. He got a little excited and after they left he was limping again. Methocarbamol is the muscle relaxant.

Friend, it is possible that the lameness could be sore from the shot. The fact that the lameness gets better after he walks is consistent with a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury or arthritis.

I would recommend you phone your family veterinarian and request an anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl. Rest him, no running or jumping for the next week or so. Once he is on the anti-inflammatory very likely he will get better.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He might have shown a slight limp before the shot. The doctor did not see/feel anything in the hip or knee. He was not limping at all when he went in of course. It looks a little like his leg is actually being pulled up

A very common injury to the hind limb in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). I would start him on the anti-inflammatory medication. If there is no improvement when he is on the medication I would then proceed with x-rays and an orthopedic examination under sedation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks very much. I do not think the back leg is the same problem as we see with his muscle spasms. I once heard the expression a dog can have fleas....and ticks. He doesn't have either. But, I do think whatever it was was made worse by this rabies shot. He did move slightly while it was being given and I am sure that didn't help. It's been almost a week since the shot. So I will get Rimadyl and try that and only give him leash walks. He may need something to calm him down for a few days because he is very active and alert. Part border collie so he is in charge.

Sounds like a good plan.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian