Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a greyhound that has just been diagnosed with having…

I have a greyhound...

I have a greyhound that has just been diagnosed with having Valley Fever. I am concerned about how well greyhounds tolerate fluconazole as well as the "Fever" itself

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is 9years old and has not been eating even when enticed with highly desirable foods. She is drinking water and still wants to go for walks.

11/8/2017
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian

Hi there!

Valley Fever can be quite a difficult condition to treat... The good news, sighthound type dogs (Greyhounds and others) don't seem to have specific breed related problems in terms of metabolism of anti-fungal drugs like fluconazole. Fluconazole is also relatively inexpensive compared to itraconazole, which is a little bit of a better drug for Valley Fever. If you haven't started treatment yet, I definitely would as you should see some improvement relatively soon after starting.

Another options for treatment is ketoconazole (cheaper than both itraconazole and fluconazole) but it may be a little less effective.

Does this help? Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need clarification on the above information.

Here is more information on Valley Fever: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2652 And fluconazole: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2148

Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Thank you for your reply. It is encouraging to now know that sighthounds positively respond to treatment. Also, I appreciate the links you have provided. I am still concerned that she is still not interested in eating.
Her lack of appetite isn’t surprising.. this could definitely be due to her illness and should improve with treatment. However, be aware that many antifungal therapies can also reduce appetite. I would give it a few days after treatment starts and of no improvement by then I’d contact your vet...
Thank you so very much. My anxiety about all of this has been lessened.
Good to hear! Take care.
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian