Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dr. Matt! I already sent a general question asking whether…

Hi, Dr. Matt! I already...
Hi, Dr. Matt! I already sent a general question asking whether you're still around, and just now saw the option to request you again. So glad to see you're still working with justanswer!Here's my question about Abby, the Japanese Chin we discussed in our previous threads. This morning I noticed that during the night Abby had had some loose stools with a bit of blood in them. This evening when I returned home, there were several little plops, for lack of a better word, of blood-tainted feces on a pee pad, and a few little spots scattered throughout the floor, like they kind of dropped out as she walked.
Does this sound immediately familiar? Rather than give you more information that you don't need, I'll be happy to answer questions from you to help you try to figure out what might be going on.
Incidentally, there's another thing I've noticed that I meant to ask you about, and I have no idea whether the two are related or not, but that's for you to puzzle on. For several weeks, Abby has had this dry sort of cough; it reminds me of a cat with a hairball. Never produces anything.
So those two things are going on. I don't like seeing blood from her rectum; I hope it's not necessarily something serious.
I look forward to hearing from you!
11/8/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dr. Matt does not appear to have been on the Just Answer site since the beginning of 2017. I can help you though.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How old is Abby?

When was her last vet visit?

Has Abby had any unusual treats, new foods, etc recently?

Has she been around other dogs over the last few weeks?

She's 11-1/2 years old.
Last vet visit was in 2012. Resulted in frustration and no diagnosis, which is what drove me to contact justanswer. Dr. Matt diagnosed the problem within minutes, online. He has been our vet since then.
Abby has developed a rather diva-ish insistence on having wet food mixed with her morning kibble. I introduced Natural Balance lamb formula three mornings ago. I mixed in a few pieces of Fromm senior kibble to begin transitioning to that from BilJac small senior recipe.
She has spent a few hours at a friend's house with two other dogs.

Thanks for that information. It is helpful.

Let me give you some information on rectal bleeding first then I'll discuss the situation more with you. Rectal bleeding can be a problem in the rectum or the colon. If it happens right after defecating, it may be an anal gland problem. Just bleeding from the rectum without clots may just be a problem in the rectal area such as rectal polyps. You can read about anal gland problems here:

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

You can read about rectal polyps here:

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/oncology_rectal_tumors.htm

It's also possible your dog may be experiencing a rectal prolapse. You can read about that here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=349

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

You can read about these here:

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/canine-intestinal-parasites.pml

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/giardia-in-dogs/

If there is straining to defecate, frequent small stools, mucus with the stools, blood coating the feces, signs of discomfort such as licking, turning suddenly or crying, then most likely the problem is in the rectal area. This would include rectal polyps or prolapse, parasites, colitis, colonic ulcers, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) and even cancer. HGE is very serious and life threatening. You can read about it here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge/

If your dog starts to vomit and refuses to eat along with bloody diarrhea, then the dog should be seen immediately by your vet. Most cases of blood in the stool or bleeding from the rectum is not immediately life threatening if there is no bleeding from other openings, but there are a few that can be. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/

Now since your dog has not seen a vet in a long time, parasites are a real possibility. However, you also just started a new food and dogs when introduced to new foods do tend to have diarrhea and that alone can lead to irritation and some blood in the fecal matter. Your dog is also a senior and as a result you do really need to have some blood work done to be sure her organs are functioning properly.

Now the cough could be kennel cough if she has been around other dogs. The cough associated with kennel cough is often described as hairball like or like a goose honk. Kennel cough usually resolves in about 3 weeks if there is no bacterial infection.

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep the mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. Dosages can be obtained at this website.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

If it is possible that a heart condition is present do not use Robitussin until the vet can check for that. It can mask a heart condition.

The following site goes over canine coughs.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cough.htm

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

jadedangel57
Hi Marti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57