Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Having a heavy bleed vomited once drinking and eating.

Customer Question
Having a heavy bleed vomited...
Having a heavy bleed vomited once drinking and eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Chuhuihui
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Chihuahua eat anything unusual?
Customer: Minpin
JA: What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?
Customer: New weight reduction food
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is she?

2- Where is the heavy bleed, vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
9 years old last temp99.0

Where is the bleeding coming from? Vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bleeding from vaginal area I'm a paramedic so took temp vomit just past good drinking and eating well

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Can you recheck her rectal temperature? This time press the thermometer tip up against the rectal wall.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
102.6
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A little lethargic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No on spay

How long has she had the vaginal bleed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3 days

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F; so she doesn't really have an elevated temperature to be concerned if her temperature is 102.6 F. As far as the vaginal bleeding as you already know this could be that she is in heat. But, when we put all of her symptoms together and age it is very important to rule out a pyometra (infection of the uterus). Very often when a dog has a pyometra owners get confused and think the dog is in heat. The fact that the vaginal discharge is heavier highly suggest a pyometra.

In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can to rule out a pyometra; this is a surgical emergency and could be fatal if not treated promptly. For this reason, it is best to not wait. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. If she has a pyometra she will require surgery to remove the infected uterus. If this was my dog I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian for a quick abdominal x-ray to rule out a pyometra. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian