Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My french bulldog is now a 11years 6 months he is lame on…

Hi my french bulldog...

Hi my french bulldog is now a 11years 6 months he is lame on his right leg with muscle wastage as he has not walked properley forabout2 months we have to carry him every where as he is on strong medicationtramadol,and just over a week agohe has beenon gabapenntin 100mg about 3 times a day ,now he was at vets today and they mentioned amputation is it pausible or are we get exploited for our love for him,we would not hesitate if its able to prolonghis life

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?

Louis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louis?

He has been bad with arthritis for a long time ,but his elbow joint was really inflamed ,where he has been unable to put it down fot the last two months

11/7/2017
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The best recommendation for any veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

It sounds like Louis has really been hurting for quite some time. I don't think it's likely that your vet would be exploiting you by suggesting an amputation, that's a fairly extreme recommendation and should only be suggested if they feel it's a very valid option to consider to help Louis' quality of life.

Given what you've described, if you don't want to pursue an amputation as they've suggested to consider, you might want to ask for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. For example, maybe to scope the elbow. That being said, if that isn't an option you're looking at palliative therapy with pain control etc. as you have been doing, or possibly amputation from what you've described. Have a good long discussion with your local vet about why they are suggesting this and what alternatives they can offer (whether by them or with a referral) before making that type of decision. From what you've stated, if he's not put his limb down for 3 months, he's already very well used to walking on 3 legs and should do quite fine. It's amazing how well they typically do. I've got a 3-legged great dane - and he's very happy.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! I’ll reply as soon as I’m able. Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

thank you Samuel for your advice

You're very welcome! I hope it is helpful. Let me know if you have followup questions, otherwise be sure to kindly rate with the stars! Thanks! - Dr. Peck

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian