Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Very loose stool with mucus and blood and vomiting. Cold…

Customer Question
Very loose stool with...

Very loose stool with mucus and blood and vomiting. Cold nose and wet. Shaking and tired. Puppy about 3months old. never been to the vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

I read to give small amounts of water and rice with cooked chicken small amount. breed of dog is boxer /pit. Money today is my issue. also read to give pediolite. Paws has vet there tomorrow.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

This may be really serious because she has not had vaccines so this very well could be parvovirus in which time is of the essence for treatment. Parvo virus causes these symptoms and also take their white blood cell count and tanks it to zero. This leaves these dogs open to multiple infections along with battling severe dehydration and low blood sugar that accompanies this disease.

Is she able to keep any of the rice and chicken down?

The pedialyte can help, but if she keeps vomiting it up that an cause other issues.

Is there another low cost veterinary facility near you ? Or a shelter that can help?

I am just so worried with her being so young if we wait until tomorrow she may not make it.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian