Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm trying to look for information on some issues our 15 y/o…

Customer Question
I'm trying to look...

I'm trying to look for information on some issues our 15 y/o rat terrier is experiencing. Vet tested him and came back negative for Addison and Cushing. He drinks all the time and then vomits water on the kitchen floor pretty often. Vet say he has elevated liver values and elevated protein in urine. They want to start him on Denamarin. I remembered that I forgot to mention to the vet that when he sits with us on the couch he is shaking all the time. I really don't know what is going on with him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

This has been going on for a while...not a sudden start from something specific

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lincoln, almost 15. DOB 12/2/2002

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lincoln?

In the past he had bladder stones and had surgery to remove. This was in 11/2014. No recurrence of stones or crystals. I have noticed when I walk him he will have a bowel movement about 5 minutes into our walk. Later in the walk he will stop again as if to have a bowel movement, but really just bile/liquid is coming out. Nothing I can pick up.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Happy to help but I need more information:

Do you have a copy of his lab results? My wife is board certified veterinary pathologist and will review those for us.

Did they do a protein/Creatinine ratio on the urine- we need to know HOW MUCH protein is in the urine.

An abdominal ultraosound?

There are a lot of things that could be going on here and we need to sort through things.

Is he drinking excessively? If do how much?

If you want to chat by phone I am happy to chat now- lots to discuss.

Paul

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian