Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, Pearl, a standard poodle, is acting as if she has a…

Customer Question
My dog, Pearl, a...

My dog, Pearl, a standard poodle, is acting as if she has a UTI: Frequency, and she'll go out and squat halfway down and walk around - no pee. Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I told her to go to her bed, reached down to pet her and she was wet (hip area). I went over to her bed (she would get in it) and it was wet. She is 5 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

On her foot?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Can I safely give her cranberry capsules?
The reason I didn't take her to a vet here is that I don't have money until the 15th.
No, I don't want to talk "live".
Am I going to get an answer?

I'm sorry to hear about Pearl.

It is possible that she has a urinary tract infection and the inflammation is causing her to feel like she has to urinate even when very little is present, thus her repeated straining, and to dribble urine when she is asleep.

Dogs with urinary tract calculi (stones) or crystals will also have inflammation and can suffer secondary urinary tract infections.

Another possibility is that she has some sort of internal organ disease (diabetes or kidney disease) that is causing her to drink more water such that she simply can't hold it overnight. Although given your history that seems less likely.

Other possibilities are some spinal arthritis that is affecting the nerves that control continence and causing her to dribble when she is sleeping or if she is spayed then she may have hormone related incontinence. The lack of estrogen can weaken the urethral muscles causing urine to leak when they are deeply asleep.

Hormone related incontinence will predispose to secondary infections. If the urethra is weak enough for urine to dribble out that easily allows bacteria to ascend her urethra too.

She needs to see her veterinarian for an examination, urinalysis with culture to look for infection, possible radiographs to look for calculi, and possibly some blood tests to look for abnormal organ function if her urine looks abnormal (very dilute or has protein or glucose in it).

If this is related to weak urethral muscle function due to lack of estrogen medication such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) can help that, and if it is related to spinal arthritis then treating that with anti-inflammatories as well could help. And it is likely that she needs a course of antibiotics to treat her probable infection.

In the meantime push fluids. Increasing water consumption helps by diluting the urine, thus decreasing its irritant effects. You should feed her primarily canned food, and add chicken broth or warm water to increase fluid intake further. You can offer ice cubes to lick too.

Cranberry capsules can help prevent some infections and some types of crystal formation, but they do not work once the infection is established or crystals/calculi have formed. In dogs they are only helpful in preventing a few types of E. coli bacteria from causing an infection, and they can cause nausea and vomiting in some dogs, so they are rarely worth the effort.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.
If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state
Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Please let me know if you have any further questions.