Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female dog bread late Janie art and had a litter of 7…

Customer Question
My female dog bread...

My female dog bread late Janie art and had a litter of 7 pups. She came on heat in August and I thought my male dog mated with her again as I caught them a few times and told him not to. Then she began to get very fat again and if they mated on the day I seen them she would of been due last week. Now she doesn’t look as fat although her nippled are slightly harder like they were when she was last pregnant. Some days I think she is deffiently pregnant and then others I question if she is or not because she looks skinny again.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

January *

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Finances are tight at the moment so it’s hard to be able to take her to the vet like I did last time to get the tests and ultrasound done. She’s eating and drinking like normal. Some days she lays down the way she did when we was pregnant and then others she’s fine. She’s deffiently not as fat as she was with her last pregnancy.
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about your female dog being pregnant. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from a Just Answer expert before now.

What was the date in August that you saw them mate?

She could have a "false pregnancy"; this can happen after being in heat but not getting pregnant. If it is a false pregnancy, it will resolve after a couple of weeks, but she could make milk, nest, put on weight, and treat toys and socks like puppies.

The only way to tell if she is really pregnant, would be an examination or Xray.

Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I did not hear back from you; how is she doing? Please let me know if my answer was helpful!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian