Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a. Deoxidizer packet. Has already thrown up .yes…

Customer Question
She ate a. Deoxidizer...

She ate a. Deoxidizer packet . Has already thrown up .yes packet is open and checked an old on yes is iron

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Shadow 7 a 14 lb pom

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

This had to have stsrted after midnidht

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Shadow, please?

Please clarify "...and checked an old on yes is iron". Elemental iron can cause severe poisoning, even in the small amounts contained in one oxygen absorber packet. It is very irritating to the GI tract and has direct corrosive effects. After ingestion, vomiting (with or without blood) is one of the first signs of poisoning. In fact, vomiting is such a common finding that if a dog does not vomit, it’s probable that a toxic dose was not ingested. If the dose is large enough to cause poisoning, severe metabolic acidosis, shock and hepatic toxicity can develop 1 -5 days after the exposure. The most severe cases of iron poisoning from oxygen absorbers have occurred in small dogs (<15 pounds). Unless a large dog ingested several oxygen absorbers or ingested unusually large ones, poisoning is much less likely.

Treatment for iron toxicity is as follows:

• Depending on the amount of iron ingested and the size of the dog, following vomiting additional decontamination may be needed. Gastric lavage or whole bowel irrigation may be necessary. Administration of oral aluminum or magnesium hydroxide (Alternagel or Milk of Magnesia) may prevent some systemic absorption of iron by precipitating elemental iron into an insoluble form. Activated charcoal is not of benefit as it does not readily bind to iron and should not be given.
  • The pet should be given supportive care until the serum iron level results are returned. If clinical signs of gastrointestinal upset are seen anti-emetics, H2 blockers such as famotidine, sucralfate and IV fluids may be needed.
  • If the iron level comes back greater then 300-400 mcg/dL chelation therapy with deferoxamine may be necessary to prevent organ damage3.