Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is 8 years old and was spayed 2 years ago about 2 years…

Customer Question
She is 8 years...

She is 8 years old and was spayed 2 years ago about 2 years after her only pregnancy that produced only one, still born pup. About a year and a half ago I gave her food that I thought was good quality but about 3 weeks into it she developed diarrhea and vomiting. I went to the vet and stopped the food. Vet said food ok and after 3 weeks of being symptom free I resiumed the food. In a few days the symptoms started again. I threw the food away and the symptoms abated. Since then, though I only feed her people grade canned chicken and rice or cooked plain oatmeal and a TINY portion of doggie vitamin powder, she cycles through a set of symptoms that includes something akin to a petite seizure, skipping meals, loose bowel movements and occasionally vomiting a small amount of bile. What is wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Farrah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Farrah?

She acts happy and comfortable even during the bad times. We go weeks between cycles, sometimes. She is an appropriate weight, AKC registered and her parents experience no similar symptoms.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.

How is your companion at this time?

Has Farrah had the diet she's on evaluated by a nutritionist to ensure it's meeting her nutritional needs?

Has Farrah and any diagnostics such as bloodwork or x-rays?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

What breed is she?

She is a purebred Yorkie. She has had blood work and x-rays and just this week they tested her feces and there were no parasites. She eats people grade canned chicken and a small portion of cooked plain oatmeal but not other people food.I give her chicken because that is the only thing she would eat when she was recovering from the first on slot and only if I pulled it right off the chicken and handed it to her a bit by bit. No torn up toys or trash, no stressful changes to environment, no new treats or bones. And I feel to mention that there’s blood in her stool sometimes

When was the bloodwork performed? Do you have a copy to share?

How long has she been on this diet?

How often does she have diarrhea?

How often do you see blood?