Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's eyeball is swollen and red. Should he go to

Customer Question
emergency vet tonight or is...
My dog's eyeball is swollen and red. Should he go to emergency vet tonight or is tomorrow ok? He's a German Shepherd mix. My last dog was a Siberian and needed eye removed due to glaucoma so I am concerned.I have a photo
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Unfortunately the picture is quite blurry. I can see a pink area in the inner corner of his eye. It's hard to know if that is his third eyelid or the gland within his third eyelid being swollen and inflamed, or if there is a red/pink area within the anterior chamber of his eye.

But if his eye itself is red, visibly swollen and more prominent/larger than his other eye then an emergency visit is indicated.

As you know from your previous dog glaucoma is painful and the increased pressure can lead to permanent damage and blindness if not addressed promptly.

Other possibilities for the eye itself being red include uveitis (inflammation in the eye) or bleeding in his eye, and these should be addressed promptly as well.

If the redness/swelling is of the third eyelid you can try flushing his eye with sterile saline and then applying artificial tears several times (every 2-3 hours when he is awake) until you have him seen by his veterinarian tomorrow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****