Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 15 year old & a 16 year old Toy Poodles that are

Hi, We have a 15...
Hi, We have a 15 year old & a 16 year old Toy Poodles that are going through the same problem. They have both lost their teeth and even though we have always kept them on grain free food, and boiled chicken. Their lower jaws are shrinking, from the front. We started adding calcium to thier chicken mixed with the moistened dry food. And tried full runs of Tribrussion, and Amoxicillian. We didn't want to have the Vet rebuild or wire the jaws because of their ages and they are only 4 1/2 and 5 pounds. Surgery seems so dangerous. Your help and guidence is needed. thank you Holly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sissyand Phoenix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sissyand?
Customer: Sissy had 2 litters of puppies when she was young, when we got her we spade her. Phoenix was spayed at a year old. Never bred. So these girls were not mistreated or over bred.
11/6/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

That is tough I am so sorry they are both dealing with this issue. It is really hard with smaller toy breeds because by 15 years of age most of them have lost all or most of their teeth just because the anatomy of their tooth roots almost predisposes them to severe dental disease.

Have they had jaw X-rays to see if there truly is bone loss or if this is just lost of soft tissue because the teeth are no longer there? I have quite a few patients that are this breed and have the same condition and their jaws do look smaller and thinner but on X-ray the bone was actually quite healthy.

If there is deep bone infection from infected tooth roots that may have broken off and not come out with the rest of the tooth then this could cause bone thinning as the infection eats away at the jaw.

Anesthesia does carry risks with any age, but at this point if their heart and lungs and blood work is normal they still may be good candidates to see a veterinarian dentist to get their jaws x-rayed and see if the jaw needs to be reinforced with plates.

How are they doing at home? Are they happy and healthy bedside the teeth? Are they able to eat normally ?

Do they seem to lick at their teeth a lot or their gums ( indicating pain)?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sissy drools when she sleeps (a lot) no extra licking. Phoenix no extra licking. Both will play and run around, but not very much. Both seem happy & are not ready to leave this world. Both eat boiled chicken mixed with Merrick grain free dry (texas beef & sweet potato) They also pick at the dry food, just plain and it is really hard.We (Husband & me) haven't taken them in for X Rays. I'm disabled, so it's too hard to take me and the Poodles in to the Doctors together. I study and do the research on the internet and in our Vet books. He has an appointment for them Nov. 23rd. But really want to be aware of our options and different points of view.
You're right about Poodles and tooth problems ! I'm so glad you already have experience with it. You have given very important views to be sure the Vet looks into.
Oh, The one thing that the suffer with is ear problems. Sissy's is dry brown flaky, Phoenix's is wet brown and gooey. Don't know if this is connected. I hope I answered your questions. Thank you so much for your help and knowledge, Holly

Normally ear infections are unrelated to oral problems so maybe with some ear cleanings every day for 7 days they will resolve Zymox over the counter at pets mart can really help with this issue.

The drooling can be indicative of oral disease as well but if it is just while she is sleeping this may not be the case. Once your veterinarian looks in their mouths we will have a better idea about what is going on.

Hopefully since their quality of life is good we won't have to get into anything too extreme but an oral exam will really tell us what your options are. Dental disease can be managed in a few different ways from teeth brushing to chews that help prevent build up of tartar ( oravet chews can really help at least they have with my little cavalier spaniel who has dental disease too)

Let me know how the veterinarian appointment goes and what they find and we can go from there.

I hope this helps good luck!

I am also here for additional questions you may have just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian