Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Posh. Italian greyhound. Symptoms are: 1:red gums (very red…

Customer Question
Italian greyhound Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Italian greyhound

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the greyhound?

Symptoms are: 1:red gums (very red at front of mouth gum.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the greyhound's name and age?

Area

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Area?

Inflammed eats - extremely red dorm the bottom of ear carnal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Area?

3. Skim discolouring mostly around her face Darkened

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. If the red color looks to start at the teeth, it is most likely gingivitis from periodontal disease. Greyhounds in general are known for being prone to dental issues. Brushing can help to prevent tartar buildup, but she most likely needs a dental cleaning at your vet's office. If the entire gums are brick red, that may be more of a systemic problem that is causing congestion of the blood vessels. That can be more of an emergency due to a twisted stomach or a toxin ingested. She would be very sick with either one of those, though. The redness to the ears is most likely from an ear infection. I would have your vet do a thorough ear exam and determine the type of infection. From there, I will usually prescribe a cleaner and topical medication to put into the ears 1-2 times daily, depending on if it is a yeast or bacterial infection. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Area is doing and to see if you have any other questions.