Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He won’t eat and no energy. Told he had liver toxicity a…

Customer Question
He won’t eat and...

He won’t eat and no energy. Told he had liver toxicity a week ago only

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A German Shepard mix. 7.5 years old. I got him to eat some chicken and rice yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the German shepherd's name?

Roger. Tried fresh pumpkin today no luck

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roger?

He is taking amoxicillin,famotidine,metoclpe milk thistle and same. Was started on 10/26

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

I presume the diagnosis was made from blood tests?

Do you have those results?

That will help me with this problem.

He is on a lot of meds and I wonder if they are affecting appetite/energy also- but we will get to that in a bit.

Did they do an ultrasound?

Paul

bloodwork run twice. he was eating fine until 3 days ago so tried the chicken and rice was better yesterday now won’t eat
he also said no masses felt he is 7yrs old so a little young for liver cancer but not out of the possibility

Okay.

And liver palpation of a German Shepherd is not going to help a lot.

The reason I asked about the ultrasound is that Roger is now on a lot of medications. And I dont know which one MAY be making him inappetant and/or letthargic.

I dont know if he has an "infectious" hepatitis or a mass or gall bladder problem or inflammatory hepatitis.

BUT my best guess would be that you can stop the Amoxicillin and the metoclopramide. The former for the inappetance and the latter for the lethargy.

I would make sure that he is drinking and I would offer warmed up food with some garlic and/or onion in it to try and get him to eat.

Make sense?

Paul

it does. He is still taking water but not as he usually does and has twice vomited up a small amount after drinking. Only small BM yesterday and none so far today
Will keep trying I did get two spoonfuls of warm rice in him

Kudos on the rice.

Maybe try some cooked hamburger with that.

Suggest an abdominal ultrasound so that we can look at liver AND the gastrointestinal tract and all the other intra-abdominal organs. Something is not adding up here.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud on this but......

Paul

dr had said that would be the next step
He has a recheck appt on Wednesday but will take him in as walk-in tomorrow morning if I can not get him to eat more Thank you

Okay good that doctor and I are saying same things- consistency is reassuring for you I hope.

Please update me on the results tomorrow.

I am here to help.

Paul

And please don t forget to rate me- That is how I get paid it seems :)

Good luck!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul