Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Appreciate your help. We have a Great Pyrenees -about 140…

Hi there....

Hi there. Appreciate your help. We have a Great Pyrenees -about 140 pounds. Apparently a kid doing sleepover at my wife's house had some marijuana edible things and he got one. She said it was one gram. He's acting kind of lethargic. But I told them to give him some food he likes (meat etc). Don't know anything about this - do we need to do anything on emergency basis? Or wait it out a little bit? Thanks so much

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Gabriel.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabriel?

Nope - he's about 5 years old. In perfectly good health.

11/5/2017
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Gabriel and the edible marijuana. Please rest assured this is a really common problem, and is generally not dangerous.

*typing more

Thanks very much. Been having a little trouble seeing the Reply box if there is a delay in my responding

A dog as large as Gabriel would have to consume a very large amount of edible marijuana to get into serious trouble. What is much more common is a dog who is lethargic, a little wobbly (like a drunk), and disoriented. Oftentimes these dogs can't seem to decide if they want to eat, play, or sleep. When they fall asleep, they can still be awakened.

*typing more

Seriously affected dogs who've eaten a LOT of marijuana become unconscious and can't stay warm. Those guys need to go to the hospital for warmed IV fluids and charcoal while waiting for it to work it's way through.

*typing more

Thank you - kind of what I expected. I'm actually in a car on the way to airport. Can I click on the payment button and have my wife talk to you? She's at home with Gabe

But as long as Gabriel is just a little drunk acting and lethargic, it's fine to wait it out. Eating and moderate exercise can help him process it more quickly, but it's also okay to let him sleep.

No emergency action is needed based on the description you've given at this time.

I'd expect him to be back to normal within 24 hours.

You bet. I'm happy to take a phone call.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Phone call session started
Thanks - I put my wife Heidi's number in there

Good to chat. We can expect Gabe to have a rough day and night, but to be back to normal by tomorrow.
It's worth mentioning to the kids that straight up bud is just as appealing to dogs as edibles. They'll eat whatever they can find. It doesn't have to be mixed with chocolate or anything else in order for them to sniff it out and think it's yummy.

So they've got to be really careful with storage.

Thanks for using our website.