Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has an upset stomach he drinks but wont eat what can I do…

He has an upset...

He has an upset stomach he drinks but wont eat what can I do for him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Duke and hes around 7 yrs old he was a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?

He occasionally throws up when he does eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Duke eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of but we recently moved and it started shortly after that little by little he stooped eating hes still active on most days

11/5/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite which sounds like it might have a stress related cause related to your recent move.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Please feed in small more frequent meals with the history of vomiting. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this
- Leash walks 15+ minutes two to three times daily to increase appetite, reduce nausea and abdominal cramping

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian