Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Bleeding for no reason on top of head and under jaw. Not

Bleeding for no reason on...
Bleeding for no reason on top of head and under jaw
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Not that I know of
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about your dog bleeding. How long has the bleeding been going on?

There has to be a reason: a wound that can't be seen unless you clip away the hair is one.

There may be bleeding from an ear; dogs shake their heads when the ear is bleeding and end up with blood on top of the head and under the jaw when they do. Check the very tip of the ear, and down inside the ear canal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It happens on and off and several months ago I thought it was because she was playing hard with the other dog. Now they don't live together so it can't be that. It happens once or twice a week.

The first place I would check is the tip of the ears and down inside the ear canals.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a spot on her ear. Maybe when she shakes her head. Let me check if that's possible.

If there is a lesion on her ear, that is probably what the source of the blood is. When dogs have bleeding on the ear, we see blood on top of the head and under the chin, from head shaking.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it's coming from the tip of the ear but why would this be going on so long?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a lesion on her ear.

Some dogs have chronic inflammation on the tip of the ear, that just does not want to heal. What breed is she? Dachshunds are prone to this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Putting styptic powder on it may help stop the bleeding. The Chinese herb Yunnan Baiyao can help with bleeding problems.

I would have a veterinarian look at this lesion to be sure it is not a tumor, since she is a Boxer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Do you think it could be from flea or fly bites.

Could be fly bites. There is an ointment you can find in feed stores for horses to prevent fly bites on ears.

It's loading.

Yes, that is almost certainly the reason for the bleeding you are seeing.

If this were my own dog, I would get some cells from this lesion to examine under a microscope to be sure it is not skin cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are welcome!

Please let me know what you find out.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I will. Have a wonderful day. ��

Thanks for the great rating!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian