Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ate a cooked small chicken wing off the floor. She did

not chew it at all...
she ate a cooked small chicken wing off the floor. She did not chew it at all that we can tell
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lucy she is a year old labrador retriever
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: lucy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She weighs 65 lbs...she eats orijen dog food...don't know anything else important?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** How long ago did Lucy eat this chicken wing? Was it just a single one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it was a single one, it was about 3 hours ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a single one. about 3 hours ago

Alright. This is a situation that wouldn't have me very worried. IF you think about it, dogs have been eating small bones for many, many, many years prior to man domesticating them (and after too). They catch all kinds of small creatures in the wild and use them for nutrition. In a situation with this small amount of bone eaten, it has a great chance of just being digested and passed through the intestinal tract. I would watch for vomiting or loss of appetite for over 24 hours to be possible indications of an issue from this. My own dog is about 55 pounds and if she was to eat a single small chicken wing that one of my kids could leave (or myself if I get forgetful) on the floor while watching TV, I wouldn't do a thing about it but wait and see if any issues happen (which I hardly expect it to be).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, i was kind of thinking that...especially since there was meat on it and she didn't chew so that there were splintery ends and such sticking out. We do need to train her better about snatching things off the floor as soon as they drop though. We've been working with her, but not diligently enough. Thank you so much for your advice!
Jenifer

It takes a very, very well trained dog to not go after a meaty chicken wing when it is dropped. If it is a Tai Curry chicken wing from Buffalo Wild Wings that is dropped, I would be going after it like lightning too!!! I hope all goes well Jenifer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks. we have her trained not to go after her treats when they are dropped, but only when we work with her consistently which we have not been doing. thank you again.

Absolutely no problem! Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian