Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

It's a 12 yr old dachshund that's continually going in

It's a 12 yr old...
It's a 12 yr old dachshund that's continually going in circles. She just started this 45 minutes ago. Earlier this wk she had a reaction to the immunizations given. The vet then gave her a shot of Benadryl, a steroid and fluid under the skin. She had a reaction to that and got totally out of it for several days. Yesterday and today she seemed pretty much normal again...until this constant turning started!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Callie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?
Customer: She's been on Proin for 6 months or so.
11/4/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Callie. Such circling is specifically indicative of both vestibular (balance) disorders and disorders affecting her forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). If she appears disoriented, confused, wall-hugging, becoming trapped in corners, and/or doesn't respond to you at this time, a forebrain lesion is most likely. It's worrisome that she was vaccinated recently because a more severe delayed hypersensitivity reaction to vaccines can cause brain swelling - a meningoencephalitis. It would be prudent to have Callie examined by a vet at your earliest convenience if only became her aimless wandering will exhaust her. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not ask for you to answer another question so do not charge me for any but the first question. Thank you

I'm not sure whom you're responding to. You wouldn't be charged extra for asking as many questions as you would like in our conversation.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian