Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog namelyDusty has been bleeding through its nose for…

Customer Question
Hi there my dog namelyDusty...
Hi there my dog namelyDusty has been bleeding through its nose for almost two months.We have now noticed that he has a swollen gum problem and is at times drooling. Can you please advise me on its condition. I had seen a vet and was given antibiotics amoxyclav at first. The cause was successfully completed with no significant improvement. After 2weeks Dusty was seen again by the vet and was given amoxyclav with metronidazole. I am confused because my dog is still bleeding through its nose.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Dusty.

Does the blood come out of both side of his nose, or only from one of his nostrils?

This may not be an infection, and so antibiotics may not help. This could be a fungal infection, or he could have a bleeding growth inside his nose, or he could have aspirated something into his nose that is caught there.

If it is from only one side, it is more likely a growth or a foreign body in his nose. If it is from both side, it is more likely some kind of infection.

Another possibility is a bad tooth. The tooth roots reach up into the sinuses, and if he has a bad tooth, that could cause bleeding from one side of his nose.

An Xray might be the best next step.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian