Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His stomach is rumbling but he refuses to eat. He had a walk…

His stomach is rumbling...

His stomach is rumbling but he refuses to eat. He had a long walk today so I assume he’s tired - but he is sleeping a lot - but I ‘ve put it down to the walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

I’m more concerned with his stomach rumbling and refusing to eat than the lethargy. His name is ***** ***** he’s 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I'm?

Our vet thinks he has a delicate digestion system and has given him anti acids. His urine is very yellow and his stool is often soft with a jelly like substance.

11/3/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear that Cruz is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you through this situation. I am working on a detailed response right now and will be back momentarily.

Ok. Thanks in advance :)

So there are many dogs that have very sensitive digestive systems even if you haven't changed anything in the way of his diet or treats, sometimes, they will just have increased gas in the intestines or loose stool for other reasons like stress.

Here are a few at home suggestions before taking him in to your vet.

1. Pepcid AC- Famotidine- This is an acid reducer and can be helpful if given to a pet with increased gas. It can help with stomach upset and sometimes make them feel well enough to eat. If you provide me with his weight, I can give you the dose.

2. Bland, easily digestible diet- So many times pets with sensitive digestive issues need to be on a very specific limited ingredient diet. This might be something that you need to explore with him in this happens quite frequently.

For now, if you know that he is generally good with the following foods, you can try to offer him small amounts of low sodium chicken broth, chicken breast, rice or yogurt. Obviously, I would start with the pepcid first, let his stomach rest and then start offering very small amounts of food. Small intermittent meals.

3. Soft stool or diarrhea- There is an easy way to address loose stool in many pets... fiber. Original metamucil is a good option in best with mucousy soft stool. Do not get the flavored type, just the original. Again, if you give me his weight I can tell you how much to add to the food.

typing more...

I don’t know his weight, I’m sorry :/ He’s thin though. Very energetic. Not neutered. How can I give him his pills if he won’t eat? (I’m out of chicken, unfortunately. He’s not interested in his usual food. I have ham and sausage although he’s not interested in the sausage, either.
He’s a pure bred Shih Tzu, if that helps.

Ok, that helps. You can give him 5 mg of Pepcid AC twice daily.

You may have to just put the pills in the back of his throat, close his mouth and rub his throat to give the initial doses.

4. Probiotics- This can be so helpful with digestive issues. There is a very palatable probiotic that most pets love! It is called purina fortiflora and you just sprinkle it on the food. You can get it at most pet stores, vets, or online. This might be a good long term option for Cruz.

So obviously I am unable to prescribe stronger anti-nausea medications or prescription diets, but these are some things that you can try at home to see if he makes some improvement. Now obviously if Cruz is not making any progress by tomorrow or seems really painful, is unwilling to eat or drink, then you should take him in for an exam. If he is not improving, then it is important to ensure that there is nothing more serious going on. Plus you don't want him going many days without drinking.

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Okay, thank you. i’ll Get the purina fortiflora for him as well and will indeed take him back to the vet if this persists. Thanks again :)

I am sorry that you are going through this. Oh, I forgot to mention, If you at all possible stay away from foods that are high in fat. So that is why I was suggesting the chicken. The sausage and ham may be a little too high in fat for him right now. So if possible just to get some things that are a little more bland.

Please keep me posted. This conversation will stay open for about a week after the rating, so please let me know if you have any questions. I hope that Cruz is feeling better really soon.

Take Care,

Dr. N

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole