Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He won't jump on my bed acts like he wants to and just won't…

He won't jump on...

He won't jump on my bed acts like he wants to and just won't attempt it tries to rear up but cannot. My bed is 36" he is a 30" at the shoulder dog. His gait is perfect moves perfect outside a little slow up steps and will stand on hind legs at the window sill but the jump he just doesn't want to.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes I've checked everything. Been handling dogs a long time. This is a 100 lb Spinone Italiano he is acting perfect in every other way he's alert and eating and not depressed this came on suddenly yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Bravo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Yes, last week he kind of limped on his right front leg/foot no bad but a limp. I went to work for a few hours and returned and it was gone. He didn't favor or limp since and is not favoring or limping now. I do think he may have injured something he runs around like a maniac outside was trying to climb a tree in the yard after birds maybe he hurt himself?

11/2/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your fellow Bravo refusing to jump. He sounds uncomfortable. Dogs that are painful will hesitate jumping or climbing stairs and display the sort of behavior he is, either because it hurts to do the activity or because they feel weaker than usual.

This is most commonly associated with a problem with their intervertebral discs, which are the spongy cushions between the individual vertebrae in their back and neck. These spongy discs can move or rupture and place pressure upon the spinal cord which can lead to pain, and in severe cases paralysis. Because he has a history of front leg lameness I would speculate that his trouble is with his neck. The nerves that control their front legs leave their spinal from the lower neck, so if there is no history of weakness in his rear legs or limping then it is likely the problem is on the right, lower side of his neck, not affecting the nerves that control his rear legs or his left front leg.

Radiographs can sometimes be diagnostic but often early on in the disease process, because the discs are soft tissue not bone, everything will look normal. An MRI is the best way of diagnosing disc disease.

If the dog is painful but has no evidence of paralysis we can try strict rest, anti-inflammatories and pain medications for several weeks to allow healing.

If there is evidence or weakness or paralysis then surgery by a board certified veterinary neurologist, as soon as possible, is indicated.

Ideally he would see his veterinarian. If this is indeed a disc problem your veterinarian can prescribe a steroid or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory to relieve pressure on his spinal cord and nerve roots, as well as something for pain too, such as Tramadol. And if he is having painful muscle spasms then a muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol as well.

He should be closely confined starting now. No stairs, running or jumping. If you have a crate for him I highly recommend using it. The less he moves around the more comfortable he will be and the faster he will heal. He should go out on a leash to relieve himself. Do not use a collar for him, a harness which more evenly distributes forces if he pulls on his leash is better. You will need to confine him for several weeks, even as he starts to feel better or he may reinjure himself.

You can alternate warm and cold compresses on his lower right side of his neck for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. Cold reduces inflammation, and heat helps soothe painful muscle spasms.

Keeping him on the thin side is recommended to decrease stress on his back, but is no guarantee that he won't have another episode. Once a dog has one bad disc the likelihood of another is very high.

If you are interested in reading more here is a link to an excellent article about intervertebral disc disease, its causes and therapy: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Bone-Joint-Muscle-Disorders/Intervertebral-Disk-Disease/Symptoms.aspx

There are other less common causes of back/neck pain such as infections, tumors of the vertebrae or the spinal cord itself or fibrocartilagenous emboli but far and away disc disease is the most common cause of back/neck pain in dogs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I think this is correct. Being he is 100% in most every other way, I admit he's not running as hard as he usually does but he is out there and his gait is impeccable as always. He has been doing all his normal stuff, doesn't seem the least in pain excepting the jumping on the bed. Can you give me a recommendation for buffered aspirin? His weight is 100 lbs he is un-neutered and 4.5 years old. Sound dog in every way. I will do the compresses as well. I have a vet appointment for a heartworm check and a lepto vaccine. If I can keep him comfortable and address it then that would be great!

Ideally he would see his veterinarian because the prescription medication your veterinarian has for pain will be much safer and work better than any over the counter medications that we take. In fact acetaminophen and ibuprofen aren't used in dogs because their effective doses are very close to a toxic dose in dogs.

However if you want to try something at home the only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in dogs is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal. If you choose to use it watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.

The dose for aspirin is 5mg to 10mg per pound of body weight orally every 12 hours (500mgs to 1000mgs for a pup his size, about two to three 325mg aspirin every 12 hours). Always give with a meal. Do not use for more than 2 or 3 days.

Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can give as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Very well. Thank you so much for this information. I personally do not take pharmaceuticals I am 66 years old I will try the compresses and will absolutely limit his activity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMeeATIJGOQ&t=2s this was a video I uploaded to youtube when he went outside a few hours ago. If you are interested take a look

Thanks very much for the video. He is a beautiful dog!

He does appear to move pretty well, but he is trying to put less weight on that right front. He tends to put it back a little when he stands (thus putting less than full weight on it), and he definitely did not want to come up the stairs!

I would love to examine him to get a better idea of what he reacts to with flexion and extension of his joints and neck, but his veterinarian can check that when he sees him.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian