Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think he has lyme disease. A large dog. He's lost his

Customer Question
I think he has lyme...
I think he has lyme disease
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A large dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He's lost his appetite. He seems to be experiencing pain when he gets up, and especially when he tries to get on the furniture (like his back legs, or joints hurt), his poop is also loose and greenish brown in color
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Darby, 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darby?
Customer: He is a chocolate lab, I know hip dysplasia is a possibility for him.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about Darby's situation. Hip dysplasia is definitely sometime that is a big issue in a lot of chocolate labs, but it would seem to be based on his age not as suspicious. Not that he can't have bad hip dysplasia at this age, but it typically is older larger breed dogs that get it. Could he have Lyme disease? It is on the list of rule outs for sure. What would be a very good thing to do is to get him to your vet for them to check him over. They can actually do a blood test to see if he's been exposed to lyme disease. If he's positive, then they most likely would elect to do a course of therapy for it. If he's negative, then they are going to look for other possible issues. They can definitely get some medications going to help him to feel better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lyme disease is 100% possible. We live in a heavily wooded area, and ticks have been abundant in this area this year. I have not seen or felt any ticks on him, but his coat is very thick, and long, so it 100% possible that I overlooked on that may have latched on.

In that environment, there could easily be a deer tick attached somewhere that has in the past passed on this bacteria to him. Your vet can screen very quickly to see if he's positive for Lyme antibody, and if he is, a course of oral doxycycline would seem to be in the makings.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian