Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shih Tzu Riley has had ear infections off and on... he…

Customer Question
My shih Tzu Riley...

My shih Tzu Riley has had ear infections off and on... he had an episode last night where his eyes darted back and forth

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Shih Tzu can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Shih Tzu's name and age?

Riley, he'll be 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?

He has allergies, dry eye

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It is possible that he was having a little bit of a vestibular problem. It can happen if there is an inner ear infection. Their balance is thrown off. That is usually what causes nystagmus (rapid eye movements). There are other potential causes, such as trauma, middle ear polyps and tumors, brain tumors, certain medications and idiopathic causes (no known cause - usually happens in geriatric dogs). It would be a very good idea to have your vet do a thorough ear exam to evaluate the ear drum and make sure he doesn't have an inner ear infection that needs to be treated before it gets worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Riley is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian