Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We found a tick on our boxer and removed it. We have treated…

Customer Question
We found a tick...

We found a tick on our boxer and removed it. We have treated the area with alcohol and peroxide. What else do we need to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Boxer?

Tick found

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Boxer seem to hurt?

She doesn't hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Boxer's name and age?

Cleo 2 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cleo?

She is healthy. Need to know if we need to do anything else

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you found a tick on Cleo. We had a Boxer named Cleo when I was growing up!

If you removed the tick that should be all you have to do. There may be a bump at the site for up to a week or so, from the bite but that is normal.

I would consider using a product for ticks on her; if she got one tick there could be more. Bravecto lasts for 3 months against ticks; Frontline and the Seresto collar are also good.

Ticks can carry disease. If in the next few days to a week she limps, acts painful, won't eat, or has a fever, I would contact your veterinarian.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer and if this was helpful!

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my response!

Was this helpful? How is Cleo doing?