Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

While I was handing out candy my mastiff got ahold of a

While I was handing...

While I was handing out candy my mastiff got ahold of a tbone steak bone on the counter and ate the majority of the bone :-(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dunkin and he's 8.5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dunkin?

He's 130 lb lab mastiff mix

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the bone?

2- Is he showing any symptoms?

He just ate it about 10 minutes ago. No symptoms yet. From the pieces on the floor it looks like he chewed it to an extent

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

There is probably a 4-5" piece missing

As you may already know the concern with the ingestion of a bone is that it can cause an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone or pass it in the stool without any problem. He is a big dog so very likely this will not be a problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol.

2- Do not induce vomiting.

3- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the pieces of bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.

4- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

if he seems fine after 3 days it should be okay?

Yes, it is very likely that he will be okay.

Okay thank you!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian