Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been exposed to toxic mold and I am having

Hello, My dog has been exposed...
My dog has been exposed to toxic mold and I am having problems with treating his skin and fur issues. He has been to the veterinarian, since being exposed over a year ago, well actually we both were exposed to it from 2014, until, thank God, a flood happened on May 2, 2016, but he stayed in the basement apartment until June 2016, after both became violently ill. My dog is only 11 lbs and we both continue to suffer skin and scalp problems. He had been been off and on taking antibiotics and I have to bath him every 3 days when he is on them, for the past year. I was just wondering if mold ever leaves the body after being removed from the environment? I have had to throw away everything that I own, in order to get rid of the mold spores, but he continues to suffer, The mold in the apartment was extremely high, actually dangerous levels, in which the tester stated NO ONE should enter the basement without full gear. I am very concerned about him, and just wanted to ask if there was anything else that I do not know about that my be able to help him heal completely from this. His veterinarian also believes the problem is associated to the mold exposure, he has totally lost his eye sight and now has to be on a KD diet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, again does mold ever leave the body or does it remain in system forever, and only the symptoms can be treated. Thank you in advance for any advice on this issue.
10/31/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

Are you concerned about respiratory issues? Also?

Paul

Sorry, just got back to my computer, yes I am concerned about his over all health. He is really struggling with the skin issue and as I mentioned he has to be on a special diet. I just don't know if mold ever leaves the body, or is it something that always stay within the body? I know that I probably can't compare my issues with the dog, he can't tell me how he is feeling, but I am struggling hard to get my skin and scalp healed and we both are not having much success with that.

No problem.

Have they started treatment with an oral anti-fungal for the skin?

Paul

he is currently taking simplicef 100mg, they put him on it for 3 weeks and then I have to shampoo him twice a week with Douxo
Chlorhexidine, he has about a week left on his medicine and his skin seems to be clearing up a little bit; however, we have done this treatment before, it cleared it up until I returned from the storage unit, prior to me realizing that everything in the unit had to be discarded do to mold spores, and every since then, we both have been trying to recover from the mold. As I stated before, I have Lupus so the mold really did a number on me, and little bit is only 11 lbs, so I also almost killed him. I just really want to know if this is something that we will have to deal with for the remainder of his life, or if mold stays in the body for the rest of his life, and we will have to treat ongoing, I have tried to find research on mold and dogs, but there is very little info on humans, let alone dogs. There is a large grey area, doctor's, scientist and courts can't seem to agree on any of it, but it is differently an issue in which more effect should be given to, the only source of reliable info comes from the CDC.

Simplicef is an oral antibiotic and not an oral anti-fungal.

I would ask your veterinarian for an oral anti-fungal. That will sort out the skin post haste.

Paul

To answer your question about your dogs long term health:

The oral anti-fungal should sort out the skin really well.

And I am not worried about the long term health issues.

Paul

And dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid.

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
ok, thank you Paul, this whole thing has been a nightmare for both of us. Have a great evening

Welcome.

Can you update me in a week or two?

Paul

I just remembered, the question that I asked is whether or not mold stays in the system a life time, or does it exit the body with time, or is that unknown?