Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got ahold of a small whole chicken bone and swallowed

Hello my dog got ahold...
Hello my dog got ahold of a small whole chicken bone and swallowed it. I do not believe he chewed it up before swallowing. Should I be worried? He doesn’t seem to be in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is small around 20 pounds
10/31/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dog.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Unfortunately, dogs eat bones of all sorts all the time but, fortunately, they rarely suffer any adverse consequences from doing so because the stomach acid can help soften them. As a result, in most cases, if not a huge amount was eaten (such as in this case), then they will pass through the stomach and intestines with no problem. They might cause a little irritation as they are passing through which might result in looser stools for a day or so but this quickly resolves.

I don't typically suggest that vomiting be induced to retrieve the bone since to do so could cause damage to the esophagus or the bone could become lodged there which would mean the patient is greater trouble; what goes down doesn't necessarily come back up with ease, in other words. We hope that the bone will pass which they usually do. Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in most cases to give you an idea of what to expect although if the bone remains in the stomach for a while (which sometimes happens), it might not pass as soon as this.

You can feed an additional meal or fiber (such as whole wheat bread) and increase activity/play which can help to increase transit time.

If your dog starts to vomit and/or becomes lethargic and/or doesn't want to eat, then a vet visit would be wise but more than likely, he'll be just fine even though he's a small dog.

I hope this helps, Deb

What you can do to help move thingsalong would be to increase the fiber in his diet by adding cannedpumpkin (NOT the pie mix). You can give him 1 tsp twice a day.
Youcould also give him raw bran flakes such as wheat bran at a dose of1/2 tsp daily.

For the softer stools, you can feed1 part boiled chicken or hamburg or low fat cottage cheese to 4 parts20-minute boiled white rice, small meals throughout the day. This maynot be absolutely necessary, though, since the stools usually becomefirm within a few days on their own after the bones pass (if they do,of course).

Transit time is usually about 24-36 hours in mostcases to give you an idea of what to expect.
But since he islethargic, I would encourage you to have him seen. An x-ray willquickly tell how many bones he might have in his body and where theyare located.
If they are located only in his stomach and the ERhospital has an endoscope, then they may be able to retrieve them.But if they are in the intestines and/or there is evidence ofobstruction or perforation, then he will need surgery, I'm sorry tosay.

The concern when presented with aproblem such as this is that if you induce vomiting in Jack, there'sthe risk that this utensil might become lodged in his esophagus onthe way back up which could potentially cause some seriousdamage.
Just because it went down smoothly doesn't necessarilymean that it will come back up that way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You're more than welcome although my apologies for including text which I inadvertently copied and pasted.

Best of luck with him, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s perfectly fine. You’ve been so much help.

My pleasure and thanks for understanding:) Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian