Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 6 month old, 38 lb., female Goldendoodle. Last…

Customer Question
We have a 6...

We have a 6 month old, 38 lb., female Goldendoodle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Last Tuesday we had her spayed. The vet initially offered a sedative because she's very excitable and they wanted her to chill so she could heal. They prescribed 25 mg of acepromazine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

About 10 min ago, my wife realized she'd gotten hold of the pill bottle and had eaten all but on of the remaining pills. We think she's had about 7 or 8.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Riley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?

I don't think so. Like what?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

If she ingested 7 to tablets of 25mgs Acepromazine that is 175mgs to 200mgs of Acepromazine, or 4.6mgs to 5.3mgs per pound of body weight. The usual oral dose of Acepromazine is 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound.

The amount she ingested is a very large amount of Acepromazine which could lead to significant sedation, and hypotension (low blood pressure) and bradycardia (low heart rate) as well as seizures in some dogs.

If it has been less than 2 hours and she is not yet showing signs of sedation I would induce vomiting to try and get the medication out.
Induce vomiting by giving her fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide fizzing.
Do not give more than 3 tablespoons in a single dose, even though she weighs more than 35 pounds.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.
I will be back with more information, but I wanted you to have this to start.

If you do not have fresh (unexpired) 3% peroxide, or she does not vomit the pills in the next 20-30 minutes then get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present. If you feel most or all of the pills are present then she should be fine.

Once it has been longer than 2 hours it is too late to induce vomiting, then I would recommend she be admitted to an emergency clinic for observation and supportive care.

If she vomits the pills to help with nausea and ease the burning irritation from the peroxide you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian