Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 month old goldendoodle got into the pantry and ate

raisins. I don't know how...
My 6 month old goldendoodle got into the pantry and ate raisins. I don't know how many, but it looks like a lot. Is this an emergency?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Goldendoodle will be able to digest that. What is the Goldendoodle's name?
Customer: Goldie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goldie?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/30/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many hours has it been since he ate the raisins?

3- Do you have any idea of how many raisins or how many ounces was the box?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is 35 lbs. It was probably an hour ago. It looks like at least 3 one-ounce boxes. I can check for peroxide

Can you please tell me if you have peroxide 3%.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have any peroxide but I can go get some quickly.

Friend, raisins are toxic to dogs as low as 0.11oz/kg can cause renal failure; some dogs are more sensitive and even less can be toxic. I would recommend you move quickly and pick up peroxide 3% to try to make her vomit or take her to the nearest ER vet and they can make her vomit with apomorphine; this needs to be done within 1-2 hours of ingestion. To induce vomiting with peroxide this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the raisins in the vomit I would take her to the nearest ER vet for a supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She vomited a LOT after 1 T of peroxide, and I could see the raisins in. She is drinking normally. I'll call her regular vet in the morning. Thank you.

Fantastic!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian