Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My English bulldog has developed a sore under her eye in the…

My English bulldog has...

My English bulldog has developed a sore under her eye in the skin fold. Looks really red and irrated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the English bulldog's name and age?

Harley and she is 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?

Just what to put on it.... do I give it a day or two and then take her to the vet? Not sure if she scratched it, cut herself on something or if its dermatitis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is Harley bleeding a lot?

No, just looks bright pink where the irritation is.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/30/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she scratching or rubbing her face?

She is a really wild dog but I don't think so. She is very active and runs a lot and bangs into things ...I didn't even notice it today. She is crated during the day if we are not home and I noticed it once I got home from picking the kids up from school. Red , sore and very irritated looking. I was trying to get a good look at it but she bites me when I try. It's definitely in her fold under her right eye.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, what you are describing is consistent with dermatitis which is common with the skin folds in bulldogs. This is what you can try:

1- Do not let her scratch the fold if she does pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from scratching.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thank you. The soap can be purchased at a CVS or Rite Aid?

Yes, CVS has Hibiclens.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Ok thank you!

You're welcome. :)