Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pregnant Pug, due next weekend. She just discharged

Customer Question
some pretty clear mucous today...
I have a pregnant Pug, due next weekend. She just discharged some pretty clear mucous today. My other dogs have been sniffing her. I'm sure its just her mucous plug but one of my other female Pugs is on antibiotics for a uterine infection and I keep them away from eachother as much as possible but contamination is a concern.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: This is her second litter. She is very healthy in all other ways.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to Just Answer! I'd like to help with your concerns regarding your pregnant pug. Just a few minutes while I formulate my response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My other female that is on antibiotics aborted her litter at 2 weeks along, but was discharging gross yellow-green mucous last week and we started her on antibiotics on Friday. She acts fine, but has the gross discharge.... My heavily pregnant female is in great health, but I'm concerned with contamination as they are all house dogs and if she loses her mucus plug now, is her chance of getting an infection even higher

I​ agree, it sounds as though she passed her mucus plug, which is a very normal part of the pre-labor process.

I'm sorry to hear that your other pug aborted. Some pyometritis (uterine infections) are not contagious. Typically (in a non-pregnant dog). Pyometritis is caused by progesterone affecting the endometrium. The infection is only secondary. Pyometritis is not a contagious disease.

Have either of your pugs been tested for Brucellosis? I would strongly suggest the Brucella test as the disease seems to be on the rise. This is a bacterial infection that can cause abortion (usually at 45-60days however).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my female who aborted was tested after she aborted and that came back negative

Ok, I'm glad she was tested. She may still have an infection that is contagious (herpesvirus, Mycoplasma, Streptococcus, E. coli and other bacterial infections).

I​ recommend separating them as much as possible. Even isolating your pug that has the discharge to one room or crate.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Two separate males, although none of my 5 breeding dogs have ever bred outside dogs.

I​f your healthy pug begins showing any abnormal signs, I recommend having her seen by your veterinarian immediately.

I wish you (and her) all the best with her pregnancy.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi, it's Dr. Denise checking in. How are your pugs doing?

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian